Nippers registrations - please keep checking this page for updates!
We cannot wait to welcome our Nippers back to Bronte this season!
We are monitoring the evolving Covid situation closely and planning our season, together with SLS NSW, SLS Sydney Branch and Waverley Council. Following initial meetings with all Branch Clubs, SLS Sydney issued this pre-season circular, and intends to issue a further Nippers update on 1 October 2021. Although this is a fluid situation, we currently anticipate opening registrations in November, with a view to commencing Nippers in December. We will update this page with any changes so make sure you keep checking in!
In the meantime, keep in mind:
- Nipper families should expect similar Covid restrictions to last season and are encouraged to keep an open mind and a flexible outlook – as we did last year, we will do all we can to run a successful season! It is possible that we may need to look at a different format for Nippers this season – we will look into all options.
- We would love to hear from new Nippers aged 5-12! Any new Nippers and 'new-to-Bronte' Nippers are encouraged to register their interest via this Expression of Interest.
- Once they open, all Nipper registrations will be online.
- In accordance with the latest SLS guidelines, we are planning for a December 2021 start date. We will start the season as soon as it is safe to do so. Amongst other things, NSW Government policy on return-to-school will inform these decisions.
- All volunteers at Nippers will need to provide evidence that they are fully vaccinated against Covid-19 (see policy here). Nippers themselves will not need to be vaccinated.
- Proficiency swims will take place in Bronte Pool and in the ocean during the first weeks of Nippers. See age group proficiency requirements below.
- Our U14 SRC program is a priority and our head trainer will send our U14 families a separate communication shortly.
- We will get our training groups up and running as soon as we’re permitted. No Carnivals will take place while stay-at-home orders are in place. When they resume, they are likely to be broken down into smaller event formats. Information regarding surf sports will be part of the SLS update on 1 October 2021.
- To our Water Safety: skills maintenance will not take place while stay-at-home orders are in place and you will receive separate updates on arrangements. At this stage, reduced patrols will operate in September/October.
- It is a stressful and unsettling time for many and we are very mindful that our community is being challenged on so many fronts. Please keep in touch and reach out with any queries or concerns: firstname.lastname@example.org
- We strongly encourage all our Nippers and prospective Nippers to stay as active, fit and positive as you can!
We look forward to seeing you again as soon as we can!
Any child may join Nippers once they have turned five years old. Age group is determined as at 30 September each year:
|Age Group||Cap Colour||Date of Birth|
||Royal Blue||01 October 2015 – 30 September 2016|
|Under 7||Yellow||01 October 2014 – 30 September 2015|
|Under 8||Sky Blue||01 October 2013 – 30 September 2014|
|Under 9||Bottle Green||01 October 2012 – 30 September 2013|
|Under 10||Purple||01 October 2011 – 30 September 2012|
|Under 11||Fluoro Pink||01 October 2010 – 30 September 2011|
|Under 12||Orange||01 October 2009 – 30 September 2010|
|Under 13||Fluoro Green||01 October 2008 – 30 September 2009|
|Under 14||Red||01 October 2007 – 30 September 2008|
Before any new registrations can be finalised, proof-of-age must be sighted by the club.
Proficiency swim requirements
At Nippers, we don’t teach your child to swim – we expect that they are taking lessons or are in squads. From U8, it is an SLSA requirement that all Nippers complete an annual pool ‘proficiency’ swim before they can participate in the Nipper program.
|Age Group||Pool Proficiency Requirement|
|Under 6 and Under 7||No requirement|
|Under 8||50m swim. 1 minute survival float|
|Under 9||150m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 6 minutes|
|Under 10||200m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 6 minutes|
|Under 11||200m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 5:30 minutes|
|Under 12||200m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 5 minutes|
|Under 13||200m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 4:30 minutes|
|Under 14||200m pool swim (continuous freestyle) in 4:30 minutes|
From U9, all Nippers must also complete an annual untimed ocean proficiency swim on the first day of Nippers.
Please see the calendar for pool proficiency options. Proficiencies are overseen by Age Managers. Unfortunately, they cannot be signed off by external swim coaches.
Please click the links below for more information: